| Lunch under a tree, then a massacre: NIA reveals chilling Pahalgam attack blueprint | | | Sanjay Pandita Early Times Report
Jammu, May 22: More than a year after the deadly terror attack in Pahalgam that claimed the lives of 26 civilians, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) has revealed chilling details of the massacre in its chargesheet, describing how the attackers meticulously planned and executed the assault after receiving directions from Pakistan-based handlers. The 1,597-page chargesheet, filed by the NIA, states that the three terrorists involved in the April 22, 2025 attack had lunch under a tree near Baisaran Valley shortly before launching the assault that turned the popular tourist meadow into a scene of carnage. According to investigators, the attack was part of a larger cross-border conspiracy orchestrated by Pakistan-based terrorist operatives and organisations. The agency has charged seven accused, including Pakistan-based operatives, local facilitators, and banned terror outfits, under various provisions related to murder, waging war against the nation, illegal possession of arms, and offences under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA). The chargesheet names Pakistani nationals Sajid Jatt, a resident of Kasur, along with the three slain attackers — Faisal Jatt alias Suleman, Habeeb Tahir alias Jibran Bhai, and Hamza Afghani. Two local residents, Bashir Ahmad Jothar and Parvaiz Ahmad, have also been named for allegedly providing shelter and logistical support to the terrorists. The banned outfits Lashkar-e-Taiba and The Resistance Front have also been chargesheeted in the case. The NIA has further named Hafiz Saeed and Habibullah Malik as key conspirators allegedly involved in planning, facilitating, and directing the attack. All three terrorists involved in the massacre were later killed in an encounter with security forces on July 28, 2025. Investigators recovered two mobile phones from the slain terrorists, which allegedly contained incriminating evidence, including chats with Pakistan-based handler Sajid Jatt. The devices also reportedly contained screenshots from the Alpine Quest navigation application showing coordinates and routes around Baisaran Valley. According to the chargesheet, technical analysis indicated that the mobile phones had been sold in Pakistan, further strengthening evidence of cross-border involvement in the attack. The chargesheet reveals that a day before the massacre, the terrorists visited a hut belonging to a local family near Baisaran. During questioning, accused Parvaiz Ahmad allegedly told investigators that hi A day before the massacre, the terrorists visited a hut belonging to a local family near Baisaran. During questioning, accused Parvaiz Ahmad allegedly told investigators that his maternal uncle, Bashir Ahmad Jothar, had brought the three armed men to the hut. maternal uncle, Bashir Ahmad Jothar, had brought the three armed men to the hut on April 21, 2025. The terrorists reportedly introduced themselves as “Mujahids” and claimed they were waging “jihad for the freedom of Kashmiri Muslims.” They were allegedly provided food and tea by the family and requested additional rotis to carry with them before leaving the location late in the evening. The NIA has accused Bashir Ahmad and Parvaiz Ahmad of knowingly harbouring the terrorists and assisting them prior to the attack. One of the most disturbing revelations in the chargesheet relates to the events immediately preceding the attack. According to the investigation, the terrorists were seen moving around the Baisaran area on the morning of April 22. Before entering the tourist park, they allegedly sat beneath a tree and ate lunch. The chargesheet states that the attackers subsequently concealed themselves under blankets and strategically positioned themselves around the valley to observe tourist movement and identify vulnerable targets. Investigators have alleged that one of the terrorists wore a GoPro camera to record the assault. At approximately 2:23 pm, one attacker allegedly fired the first shot using an M4 carbine, while the other two terrorists opened fire with AK-47 rifles from different vantage points, including areas near eateries and elevated slopes overlooking the meadow. The NIA said the attackers deliberately transformed the central meadow into a “kill zone” designed to inflict maximum civilian casualties. The chargesheet alleges that the terrorists continued firing indiscriminately at tourists and civilians trapped in the open area. While retreating, they reportedly targeted people attempting to hide behind trees and other natural cover. In one instance, the attackers allegedly stopped a civilian on their escape route and asked him to recite the kalma before allowing him to leave. Investigators also noted that the terrorists fired celebratory rounds into the air while fleeing the scene, a detail the NIA described as evidence of their “complete lack of remorse” and continued commitment to their terror objectives. The Pahalgam attack, one of the deadliest civilian-targeted terror strikes in Jammu and Kashmir in recent years, had sparked widespread outrage across the country and led to an intensified counter-terrorism campaign by security forces. The filing of the chargesheet marks a significant step in the investigation into the attack and the broader conspiracy behind it. |
|