Early Times Report
Jammu, Nov 18: With more than 73 percent posts of sanctioned strength of consultants lying vacant in Jammu division, the Health and Medical Education (HME) department is blatantly appointing administrators out of remaining 27 percent doctors.
Sources informed Early Times that the HME was violating guidelines for appointment of administrators including Chief Medical Officer (CMO), Medical Superintendent (MS), and Deputy Director. "Minimum qualification for the post of CMOs and equivalent is MBBS with five years administrative experience. Method of recruitment is by promotion from block medical officers/equivalent subject to suitability and satisfactory record of service", Govt order number HME/HRM/50/2011, dated 18/02/2013 read.
But sources in department informed, in a recent order dated 26th October, 2018, not only these rules were violated, but the most of consultant among those who have been appointed as administrators had no administrative experience.
"Consultants (clinical specialists), do not have administrative experience so they cannot run the institutions", sources said and added that in a recent case, Dr. Sangeeta Choudhary, MO, Sub District Hospital Bani, who was posted as Chief Medical Officer, Jammu had sought voluntary retirement less than three weeks after her transfer.
"I am working as CMO Jammu, from 27th October, 2018, my date of appointment is 01/09/1986, I may kindly be allowed to proceed on voluntary retirement w.e.f. 28/02/2019 due to deteriorating health and unavoidable family circumstances", content of application addressed to Advisor to Governor, dated 17/11/2018 read.
Sources said that there are 484 posts of consultants in Jammu division and 394 posts are vacant. "The department can directly fill 40 percent of posts, by promoting MO having PG Degree with two years experience, while 60 percent post will be filled by the PSC", they added.
They said that due to lackadaisical approach of incumbent, Principal Secretary, Health and Medical Education, Atul Dullo and favoritisms in appointment of consultants as administrator, the existing strength of specialists is shrinking. They said that presently district and sub district hospital going through acute shortage of specialist doctors, including Anesthesia, E.N.T., Gynecologist, Surgeons, Ophthalmologist, Orthopaedic, Paediatric and other specialties.
Principal Secretary, Health and Medical Education, Atul Dullo could not be contacted for his comment.