|Early Times Report|
New Delhi, Nov 19: The Home Ministry on Tuesday said security forces had arrested 765 people in Jammu and Kashmir since the scrapping of Article 370 of the Constitution for their alleged involvement in stone throwing incidents and that multi-pronged policies were adopted to check it.
Union Minister of State for Home G Kishan Reddy also said there was a decline in the incidents of stone throwing since August 5, when the Centre announced scrapping of the special status granted to Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370.
"Since August 5, 2019 to November 15, 2019, 765 people have been arrested in 190 cases registered relating to stone pelting/law and order. From January 1, 2019 to August 4, 2019, 361 such cases were registered," the minister said, replying to a written question in the Lok Sabha.
Mr Reddy said the government had adopted multi-pronged policies to check stone throwing incidents and had succeeded in curbing it to the extent that a large number of troublemakers, instigators and mob mobilisers were identified and various preventive measures taken against them, including detention under the stringent Public Safety Act (PSA) and preventive arrests.
"Investigation has revealed that various separatist organisations and activists, which are part of the Hurriyat, have been behind the incidents of stone throwing in the Kashmir valley. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has chargesheeted 18 persons in terror-funding cases so far," he said.
Replying to another question, Mr Reddy said the Jammu and Kashmir administration had informed that a total of 34,10,219 tourists, including 12,934 foreigners, visited Jammu and Kashmir in the last six months and an income of Rs. 25.12 crore was earned through tourism during this period.
The minister said after the scrapping of Article 370, initially, attendance of students was thin in the schools of Jammu and Kashmir, which gradually picked up and at present, stood at 99.7 per cent during the ongoing examination.
On a question related to use of pellet guns since August 5, the minister said pellet guns were used with abundant caution, only to deal with severe law-and-order problems to avoid civilian casualties.