x

Like our Facebook Page

   
Early Times Newspaper Jammu, Leading Newspaper Jammu
 
Breaking News :   Back Issues  
 
news details
4 'defeated' candidates given winning certificates mistakenly
'Deprived' candidates press for re-counting, certificate bearers bring stay, HC to hear case today
6/9/2011 12:10:48 AM
Amit Sharma
EARLY TIMES REPORT
Surankote, June 8: Can you imagine that election authorities can give winning certificates mistakenly to the defeated candidates? The answer must be no but if sources in Rural Development Department Poonch are to be believed, election authorities have mistakenly issued winning certificates to four "defeated" panches in Surankote block. Although authorities had ordered for recounting, certificate bearers have got the order stayed and now hearing on the same case is going to be held tomorrow.
If candidates of Kalar Katar Panchayat are to be believed, Assistant Returning Officer of the area has allegedly issued winning certificate to four defeated candidates whereas those who were declared winners on the day of counting termed automatically losers.
Following elections and counting of the area on May 25, Jamel Hussain son of Ab Gani of Ward number 5, Zulekha Bi wife of Mushtaq Ahmed of ward number 7 and Ghulam in son of Nek Mohammad of ward number 10 had approached authorities that they had been declared winners on the day of counting but winning certificates have been issued to defeated candidates.
Following the complaints, Deputy Commissioner Poonch deputed Additional District Development Commissioner Mohammad Anwar Shah to access the situation who recommended re-counting of the same following sealing the boxes and depositing it in the Surankote Government Treasury.
In their statement to ADDC, Jamel Hussain son of Ab Gani of Ward number 5 a contesting candidate had said that on the day of counting he was declared winner because he had secured 113 votes but authorities have issued certificate of winning to Mohammad Bashir son of raj Mohammad who had get 99 votes. Zulekha Bi wife of Mushtaq Ahmed of ward number 7 had also recorded her statement alleging that she had got 81 votes and declared winner by the ARO on May 25 but the certificate has been issued to Zulfan Bi wife of Mohammad Munif of ward number 10 who according to Zulekha has get only 36 votes. Ghulam Din of Ward number 10 had also claimed that he had been declared winner after counting but the certificate has been issued to defeated candidate Mohammad Shafi son of Lal Din.
On the recommendations of the ADDC, DDC Poonch Ajeet Kumar issued order of the recounting in four Halqas but those who had received winning certificates went High Court and bring stay on the recounting.
As per the alleged deprived candidates, election authorities have mistakingly issued these certificates and authorities must issue corrigendum of the same.
Meanwhile HC is going to hear the case of recounting on these Halqas today. Tehsildar Surankote SU Khan said that although they have also listened about such type of mistake but it will be ascertained only when the ballot are checked again. He said that re-counting has been stayed and HC is going to hear the case of June 9. "We are waiting the court decision", he added.
  Share This News with Your Friends on Social Network  
  Comment on this Story  
 
 
top stories of the day
 
 
 
Early Times Android App
STOCK UPDATE
  
BSE Sensex
NSE Nifty
 
CRICKET UPDATE
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
Home About Us Top Stories Local News National News Sports News Opinion Editorial ET Cetra Advertise with Us ET E-paper
 
 
J&K RELATED WEBSITES
J&K Govt. Official website
Jammu Kashmir Tourism
JKTDC
Mata Vaishnodevi Shrine Board
Shri Amarnath Ji Shrine Board
Shri Shiv Khori Shrine Board
UTILITY
Train Enquiry
IRCTC
Matavaishnodevi
BSNL
Jammu Kashmir Bank
State Bank of India
PUBLIC INTEREST
Passport Department
Income Tax Department
JK CAMPA
JK GAD
IT Education
Web Site Design Services
EDUCATION
Jammu University
Jammu University Results
JKBOSE
Kashmir University
IGNOU Jammu Center
SMVDU