news details |
|
|
Govt. throws to winds Sen Gupta committee's recommendations | | | EARLY TIMES REPORT Jammu,July 3:-The Jammu and Kashmir Government is blamed for having violated the recommendations of Nitesh Sengupta by allowing more than 85,000 pilgrims to visit the holy cave Amarnath in four days. Those, including senior BJP leaders,who have been favouring over two-month duration yatra have said that the Sen Gupta committee had, among 20 recommendations, recommended that the per day number of yatris to be permitted to visit the cave should be restricted to 5,000.This recommendation had been made by Sen Gupta in the interests of safety and comfort of pilgrims. Number of yatris,on way back from the yatra,said that allowing nearly 20,000 pilgrims to move to the cave per day did not allow "us" to spend even 10 second inside the holy cave." Ramesh Kumar from Haryana's Rohtak district said "I and my family members had to undergo a number of hardships while making it to the cave. But we were disgusted when we could not stay inside the cave for offering prayers for more than seven seconds."He said "it is totally unjust." He and others demanded that special arrangements for track clearance be undertaken right from end of April so that either of the two routes was open to pilgrims from the middle of May.They favoured a three-month long yatra period so that the swelling number of pilgrims could complete the yatra without any fuss and difficulty. It was former union Home Minister, Indrajit Gupta,who had assigned to Nitesh Sen Gupta the task of suggesting hassle-free and incident free yatra after the weather related tragedy on Pahalgam-cave route in 1996.Sen Gupta reviewed the yatra arrangements in 1996 and submitted its report within a couple of months. The Government announced that it had accepted all the 20 recommendations made by Sen Gupta in his report which included limit on the number of yatris to be permitted to move to the cave per day. By allowing more than 20,000 yatris to move the cave per day the Government,BJP leaders argue, had risked the lives and comfort of the pilgrims. They said since the number of pilgrims was to cross three lakhs in view of unregistered pilgrims making it to the mountain cave the Government and the Shrine Board should extend the yatra period by another 1t5 days even after performing the customary Pooja on August 13, the last day of the pilgrimage. In view of the risk the Government took with the lives of the yatris the Shrine Board and the state Government should extend the duration of the annual yatra to 60 days from the next year. (KIP)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
STOCK UPDATE |
|
|
|
BSE
Sensex |
 |
NSE
Nifty |
|
|
|
CRICKET UPDATE |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|