news details |
|
|
Amarnath pilgrimage again at stage of controversy as Mahant favours further curtailment of yatra | | | Early Times Report JAMMU, July 16: The annual pilgrimage of Baba Amarnath Ji has hit again a controversy after the Mahant of Chhari Mubarak, Mahant Deepender Giri reiterated his demand that the yatra should remain confined to one month only. Mahant Deepender Giri made these observations during the performance of Bhoomi Pujan, Navgreh Pujan, Chhari pujan and Dhawajarahon (flag hoisting) ceremonies at Pahalgam on the occasion of Vyas Purnima yesterday. He said the annual Amarnath pilgrimage should be run strictly as per the religious scriptures and the Hindu tradition while opposing the prolonging the yatra period to two months. He said the yatra as per tradition starts from Vyas Purnima when the Bhoomi Pujan was performed at Pahalgam from times immemorial and it culminates on Sawan Purnima (Raksha bandhan). This way the yatra was run for a period of one month traditionally, he added. It may be recalled that Mahant Deepender Giri had earlier too supported the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) which advocated curtailing the yatra period from two months to one and a half month. However Mahant and other organization like Shri Amarnath Barfani Langer organization (SABLO) had even advocated for curtailing the yatra period to one month only. The annual Amarnath pilgrimage hit a controversy this year again when the Baba Amaranth Yatri Niyas (BAYN) supported by various Hindu organizations persisted that the annual pilgrimage should run for a period of two months from Ashad Purnima to Sawan Purnima. They were demanding that from June 15 the yatra should run upto August 13 the Raksha Bandan day. However this was opposed by SASB and state Government who were adamant on running the yatra for a period one and a half month. The SAYN, while opposing the decision warned to start the yatra on its own on June 15 resulting into a lot of controversy. However later the Board and Niyas reached into an agreement by performing symbolic poojan at Panjtarni on June 15 and the yatra started on June 29 formally. But thousands of pilgrims had managed to reach Kashmir one week ahead of June 29 to perform the darshan of Ice Shivlingam prior to darshan date. However their bid was foiled by the authorities who did not allow them to proceed ahead of Baltal. The increasing rush of the pilgrims has however substantiated the argument of the Niyas and other Hindu organizations that yatra should be run for complete two months, said Ram Kumar a pilgrim from Gujarat. He said the weather from June 15 to June 30 remains dry in Kashmir while it is followed by Monsoon adding to the problems of the pilgrims considerably. Deenu Bhai another pilgrim from Pune Maharashtra while advocating that yatra should run for a period of two months in view of the religious significance of the holy shrine, said the Board should review its decision. The Martand Tirath Trust Mattan joining the issue has demanded that the holy mace to Amarnath should follow the traditional route. The president of the Trust MK Yogi said the holy mace after being taken out from Dashnami Akhara Srinagar should have night haltages at Durga Nag Srinagar, Pampore, Awantipora, Bijbehara, Anantnag, Gautam Nag, Martand, Ashmuqam, Ganeshpora, Pahalgam and Chandanwari before proceeding to Sheshnag as per the tradition following the improvement in Valley situation. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
STOCK UPDATE |
|
|
|
BSE
Sensex |
 |
NSE
Nifty |
|
|
|
CRICKET UPDATE |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|