news details |
|
|
Centre's hold on assistance to SPOs not linked to Jammu Kashmir | | | EARLY TIMES REPORT Jammu, July 26 : The decision of the Union Home Ministry to put on hold central assistance to states for special police officers(SPOs) is likely to have no bearing and impact on the fate and future of the SPOs in Jammu and Kashmir.
Official sources said that SPOs in Jammu an Kashmir were part of the regular police and the Union Home Ministry 's decision will not affect the programme in the state.
The union Home Ministry has put on hold central assistance to states for SPOs in view of the Supreme Court's indictment for deploying poorly trained tribal youths as SPOs to fight Naxals and Maoists.
Before the Supreme court ruling the Union Home Ministry had authorized Naxal affected states to recruit over 14,000 SPOs. Later sanction was given for raising another 12,000 SPOs in the Naxal affected states.
Official sources in Jammu said that the Supreme Court order was restricted to the SPOs recruited in the Naxal and Maoist affected states.
They said that over the years about 35,000 SPOs had been recruited and while a major chunk of them had been deployed for anti-insurgency measures and others had been posted on security duty to VIPs.
The sources said that if the centre stopped reimbursing the expenses, including wages, being incurred on SPOs the state Government will have no other alternative but to disband the force.
The sources explained that raising SPOs served twin purposes. One was that these able-bodied youths were playing an important role in fighting militants.
Secondly, it also helped the state Government to tackle the problem of unemployment. It also acts a feeding line for youths to get recruited to the police.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
STOCK UPDATE |
|
|
|
BSE
Sensex |
 |
NSE
Nifty |
|
|
|
CRICKET UPDATE |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|