Sanjay pandita Early Times Report
Jammu, Aug 29: Although the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB) cited a sudden cloudburst as the primary cause of Tuesday’s tragedy on the revered shrine track, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha—who is also Chairman of the Shrine Board—on Friday ordered the constitution of a three-member committee to probe the incident. The devastating landslide near Adhkuwari on August 26 claimed nearly three dozen lives and left several others injured, prompting widespread concern and questions over safety preparedness. According to the official order, the high-level inquiry committee will be headed by the Additional Chief Secretary, Department of Jal Shakti. Its other members include the Divisional Commissioner Jammu and the Inspector General of Police, Jammu. The panel has been tasked with examining in detail the causes of the incident, reviewing the adequacy of rescue and relief operations, and suggesting fresh SOPs and preventive measures to avert similar tragedies in the future. The committee has been directed to submit its report within two weeks to the Chairman, SMVDSB. Amid criticism that the yatra was allowed despite weather warnings, the Shrine Board strongly denied allegations of negligence, describing such reports as “misleading, false, and baseless.” In a statement, the Board expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives and emphasized that safety arrangements were strictly adhered to. It said weather conditions on the morning of August 26 were clear and conducive for pilgrimage, with even helicopter services operating normally until about 10 a.m. Registrations were suspended as soon as a forecast of moderate rain was received, and most pilgrims had already completed darshan or safely descended to Katra by then. The Board explained that shelter sheds along the old track, considered historically safe, were occupied by some pilgrims, while landslide-prone areas had already been closed. The new track via Tarakote, known to be more vulnerable, had been shut down on August 24 for safety reasons. The landslide occurred near Indraprastha Bhojanalaya, along a stretch long regarded as one of the safest parts of the track. A sudden and severe cloudburst over a 50-meter section triggered the massive slide at around 2:40 p.m. on August 26. The Shrine Board described the incident as an unprecedented “force majeure” event, never recorded in the area before. The Disaster Management Task Force, already deployed along the route, immediately launched rescue operations with support from the District Administration, J&K Police, CRPF, Army, NDRF, SDRF, and volunteers. Eighteen injured pilgrims were evacuated and shifted to the Shrine Board’s Super Speciality Hospital at Kakryal after first aid. By evening, stranded pilgrims were safely escorted back to Katra via the Tarakote Marg. Simultaneously, debris clearance, slope inspection, and stabilization work were undertaken on a war footing. The Board noted that, over the years, it has implemented slope stabilization, mountain binding, and construction of shelter sheds to protect pilgrims against falling debris. Reiterating its commitment to devote “every reasonable precaution” for pilgrim safety, the Shrine Board said the tragic cloudburst was beyond human control or prediction. Expressing solidarity with the bereaved families, the Board assured all possible assistance to the next of kin of the deceased. Injured pilgrims are receiving the “best available medical care,” while prayers were offered at the holy cave for their speedy recovery. |