x

Like our Facebook Page

   
Early Times Newspaper Jammu, Leading Newspaper Jammu
 
Breaking News :   J&K Bank expands corporate salary portfolio with two new MoUs in Srinagar and Udhampur | NC dismisses Deputy Speaker row, says statehood, business rules bigger priorities | Non-bailable warrant issued against Pak-based LeT handler | Curiosity mounts over new J&K BJP in-charge after Tarun Chugh’s Gujarat appointment | J&K Police warn: Fake job portals being used to steal PAN, bank details | EOW chargesheets man for allegedly trying to bribe officer | High Court puts brakes on chargesheet in Kanachak Cross-FIR Row | CM Omar Abdullah meets MLAs to discuss developmental and public welfare issues | CM Omar reviews preparations for maiden International Film Festival of J&K | Rather reviews Pakherpora Urs arrangements, calls for advance preparedness | Khatana raises comprehensive J&K healthcare issues in Rajya Sabha | Sakeena Itoo tours Chatroo; lays foundation stone for remodelling of GHSS, inaugurates NTPHC Inderwal | NHAI extends digital FASTag local pass facility to 121 toll plazas | Search operations underway at several locations | PMGSY AE suspended after arrest | CB files chargesheet in visa fraud case | SC issues notice to Centre, States on plea to confiscate property of offenders | 5 CRPF personnel injured in accident on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway | Study on cancer-causing chemicals in cars to be completed by May 2027: ICMR to NGT | Young Voices, New Politics: Gen Z on Campus | Meta more cautious on CSAM after unequivocal govt message; action visible: IT Ministry sources | Tulsidas: The Eternal Voice of Ram Devotion, Values and Human Welfare | NCB to launch drive to identify overstaying foreigners indulging in drug crimes in India | Relevant Philosophy | ADDC Shopian chairs review meeting on JJM 2.0 compliance, | UFM Committee meeting on August 20: JKBOSE | HC denies bail to alleged Heroin kingpin | Doda police intensifies drive against illegal mineral transportation; two vehicles seized, Rs. 52,064 penalty imposed | BJP is attempting to disturb peaceful atmosphere of Jammu region: RL Gupta | Dr Syed Darakhshan Andrabi reviews arrangements at Naqshband Sahib Shrine ahead of Khwaja Digar | 12th BRICS Environment Ministers meeting | Raksha Mantri flags-off NCC's All India Girls High Altitude Long Trek 'Aparajita - Parang La 2026' | MIER College conducted Swachhata Pakhwara | Keshav Chopra conferred prestigious" Mahatma Gandhi National Service Award 2026" | Praise Modi or be labelled a Naxal; this is BJP's democracy: Tony | Doda police traced woman missing for 30 months; reunites her with family | Respect for national symbols is a duty beyond politics: Balbir | DC Anantnag reviews arrangements for Chhari Mubarak of SANJY-2026 | JKEDI Baramulla concludes RAMP programmes, trains 310 candidates in entrepreneurship | Doda police nabs absconding accused after nearly two years; wanted in 2024 case | DC chairs 26th District Road Safety Committee meeting | Back Issues  
 
news details
Dhankhar rejects privilege notice against Amit Shah
3/27/2025 11:06:30 PM
New Delhi, Mar 27:
Agencies

Rajya Sabha Chairman Jagdeep Dhankhar on Thursday rejected a privilege notice against Union Home Minister Amit Shah after the minister cited a 1948 government press release to authenticate his statement that a Congress leader was part of the management of the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund.
In his ruling on Congress general secretary Jairam Ramesh’s breach of privilege notice, Dhankhar said Shah did not commit any “transgression” and that his statements during a debate earlier this week were in “absolute adherence to truth”.
He went on to state that the breach of privilege was invoked in haste to get traction in the media and asked the House Ethics Committee to lay down fresh guidelines on MP’s conduct on issues such as releasing communication with the chair or notices served.
Ramesh had moved the notice against Shah for “casting aspersions” on Congress Parliamentary Party head Sonia Gandhi while replying to a debate on the Disaster Management Bill, 2024 in Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.
Dhankhar said when some members objected to his assertion, Shah agreed to authenticate his statement.
The Home Minister, he said, has backed his statement by producing a January 24, 1948 press release issued by the government’s Press Information Bureau (PIB) that announced the then prime minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s announcement of setting up of PMNRF.
The fund “will be managed by a committee consisting of the Prime Minister, the President of the Indian National Congress, the Deputy Prime Minister and there are some other Members,” Dhankhar said quoting from the release produced in support of Shah’s statement.
“I have carefully gone through the debate and what the Union Home Minister asserted… The Home Minister focused in categorical terms that this was the practice,” he said. “I find there has been no transgression. There has been absolute adherence to truth which is vindicated by a document that is available to the Hon’ble Members and that being the situation, I cannot persuade myself to accord any acceptance to this Notice of Question of Privilege against Shri Amit Shah, Minister of Home Affairs.” Ramesh had on Wednesday moved a privilege motion against Shah for making “unfounded allegations” against Sonia Gandhi with a “premeditated motive to malign” her.
“Even though the Home Minister did not take the name of Sonia Gandhi, he had categorically by implication referred to her and imputed motive to her. The Home Minister had made unfounded allegations against Sonia Gandhi with a premeditated motive to malign her reputation. The Home Minister’s statement is blatantly false and defamatory,” he had said in the letter.
Ramesh quoted a statement Shah made on Tuesday while replying to a debate on the Disaster Management Bill, 2024 in Rajya Sabha.
“The Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund was established during the Congress’ rule, and the PM-CARES Fund was established during PM Narendra Modi and the NDA’s rule. Sir, during Congress’ rule only one family used to control the country,” Shah had said.
Without naming anyone, Shah claimed that a Congress leader was part of the PM’s relief fund at the time.
Dhankhar said breach of privilege is a serious matter.
“I have declined with a deep sense of anguish and pain that we rushed to invoke breach of privilege. We rush to the media, give it traction, try to tarnish image. And I have said on a number of occasions, this House will not be a platform to ruin reputations of people,” he said.
He then referred to the formation of the Ethics Committee in 1998 and it under SB Chauhan in a report stating that members must conduct themselves in a manner that upholds the dignity of Parliament and preserves their personal credibility. Also, members must bear the responsibility of maintaining exemplary standards of morality, dignity, decorum and values in their public conduct.
“I am tasking the Ethics Committee to look into SB Chauhan Committee report on ethics and take note of the intervening situations mostly brought about by technological developments and social media and evolve our mechanism, fresh guidelines for members for adherence,” he added.
  Share This News with Your Friends on Social Network  
  Comment on this Story  
 
 
 
Early Times Android App
STOCK UPDATE
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
Home About Us Top Stories Local News National News Sports News Opinion Editorial ET Cetra Advertise with Us ET E-paper
 
 
J&K RELATED WEBSITES
J&K Govt. Official website
Jammu Kashmir Tourism
JKTDC
Mata Vaishnodevi Shrine Board
Shri Amarnath Ji Shrine Board
Shri Shiv Khori Shrine Board
UTILITY
Train Enquiry
IRCTC
Matavaishnodevi
BSNL
Jammu Kashmir Bank
State Bank of India
PUBLIC INTEREST
Passport Department
Income Tax Department
JK CAMPA
JK GAD
IT Education
Web Site Design Services
EDUCATION
Jammu University
Jammu University Results
JKBOSE
Kashmir University
IGNOU Jammu Center
SMVDU